There are number of reasons why a PVCu Door or Window lock will need repairing if it is broken or damaged, you will either be able to fix the problem or you might need a lock replacement.
Our advice is to contact your nearest local Locksmith who will be able to advise you on the best solution. PVCu door and window locks are commonly found on your common domestic homes front and back doors, and also can be found on French and patio doors.
A locksmith will deal with the below problems on a daily basis and will be able to help you:
The Lock is Jammed/Stuck
There are commonly two problems
- The key does not go all the way in or will not turnIf the key does not go into the lock cylinder (sometimes called euro lock), or the key will go in and not turn usually this is a euro cylinder failureREASON FOR THIS:
Common reasons this happens are usually because the euro lock worn, a cheap lock has been fitted, the key has been left on the inside and lock operated from other side and the lock is now out of sync or general wear and tear.
- Key goes in and turnsIf the key goes into the euro lock and turns anti clockwise (unlock) one complete turn and the door won’t open this is usually a sign that the multipoint lock has failed or a security bolt or hook has jammed.REASON FOR THIS
Common reasons this usually happens are: door and frame not fitting correctly or are out of alignment and the handles have been forced up to lock and the delicate mechanism has broken, general wear and tear, or possibly that the door is slammed constantly.
PVCu Door Won’t Shut Close
This is commonly caused by either the strike receiver for latch part of lock not being adjusted correctly or has worked loose or the door trim rubber has moved and is not sitting properly on door, stopping the door from shutting correctly.
Door or Window Lock is Damaged or Broken
- PVCu door/window lock problem when lifting (floppy handle)If the PVCu door and window locks appear to be catching when lifting the handle, then this is usually down to a worn or faulty locking mechanism.
- Key goes in but has to be jiggled up and downWhen a key goes into euro profile cylinder but you have to jiggle or pull key up or down is usually a sign of badly cut keys or a faulty or worn euro cylinder lock.
- Door hook or bolt won’t retract in or outOne of the multipoint hooks or bolts won’t retract in or out properly when the window handle or PVCu door handle is operated is usually a sign of a broken mechanism or locking security device.
Can you replace the lock without a key?
A key is usually needed
The reason is a key is usually needed to change a euro profile cylinder lock and the cam on the lock (the part that locks the handle which in turn operates the PVCu mechanism when the key is turned) needs to be in line with the euro lock body to remove from the door.
I do not have the keys
If you have no keys and the euro cylinder retaining screw is removed in the usual way the euro lock will NOT slide out as the cam is in the wrong position stopping the euro lock from being removed.
A locksmith can change the lock if you have no key
An approved locksmith will attend site and change the euro lock even if no key is available by using an array of specialist tools and knowledge to align the cam in the correct position to remove the euro profile cylinder lock without damaging the door.
Types of locking systems a locksmith can repair/replace:
Locksmiths can repair or replace many different types of PVCu locking mechanisms usually on site. PVCu locking mechanisms have evolved over time with the security levels offered originating with the latch and roller style mechanisms.
Upgrade out of date multi point locking mechanisms
Locksmiths can also usually upgrade any out of date PVCu multi point locking mechanisms for the higher security, hook and bolt style higher security locking units. Replacing the latest door furniture at the same time as the lock can also be beneficial.
My door or window will not lock
- Window or door strikes are not in the correct position to allow the mechanism to reach the fully locked correct position or handle to reach maximum lift position to allow the key to turn on PVCu/composite doors.
- Hinges may require adjusting to allow correct fitting of door and frame or window and frame.
- Mechanical failure of part either locking mechanism in window or door, euro cylinder or hardware problem with broken or worn lock furniture usually (locking window handle or PVCu door handles)