Secured by Design is owned by the Association of Chief Police Officers and is an initiative aimed at crime prevention through the use of high quality products and processes at the design and build or retrofit stage of developments.
More details on ACPO SBD can be found at Secured By Design
ACPO Secured by Design has provided some useful guidelines for the public to consider for their security at home. This guide can be found at view the Secured By Design Security Checklist
What does ACPO Security Guide Cover?
- Ideas for security around the front and back of your home, for example – how to make gaining access to the rear of your property difficult, suggestions on security lighting and security for outbuildings.
- General security advice – looking after your doors and windows, never leaving keys in locks or within easy reach of the door and keep any tools that could be used for gaining entry securely stored.
- Advice for security in the properties with shared entrances, using care when allowing entry via entry phone systems as well as suggestions for security inside your home.
- Advice on doorstep callers – checking ID, not letting strangers into your property, never discuss security arrangements with strangers on the doorstep.
- Advice on how to make it look like you are at home? (e.g. not closing curtains during the day, using lights on timers, cancelling deliveries when away on holiday) as well as the suggestion of considering joining a Neighbourhood Watch scheme.